So, the rumors are true, we’re Facebook official, etc. Mike and I are married!
- Yes, this was planned. We just didn’t tell anyone. We’d talked about getting hitched pretty much right from the start. We’d decided we wanted to have a ceremony for just the two of us, then have a wedding with family and friends later on. We’d originally talked about getting married in Puerto Rico later this year, but decided that we’d rather save that for our honeymoon or another vacation. I found out I was going to Vegas for work, and M had vacation time, so he came with me. Barring all catastrophe, the plan was to get married in Vegas, and so we did. I guess we didn’t technically elope, though it probably seems that way!
- Because I know you’re probably thinking it – no, this was not a shotgun wedding!
- Yes, our parents know. My parents were surprised that we actually went through with it, but were kind of suspecting this would happen. They’re very happy and love M very much, and now my mom gets to email all the family with “So… guess what!” and help plan a wedding, and Dad gets a son-in-law. Win-win. M’s parents were shocked but happy – they sent me a sweet text and email, which was a pleasant surprise! I absolutely love my in-laws and am so happy to be a part of his family!
- We had Elvis. That was also part of the plan. And he was rad. The minister was great, the vows were lovely, and Jon Bon Jovi was married at the same chapel, so I figured that was a good sign. And no, Mama, JBJ hasn’t been married 3-4 times, he married his high school sweetheart here and have been married since! Plus he’s hot, sang “Livin’ on a Prayer” and was in “Sex and the City.” C’mon.
- What we wore: M was in a grey suit, blue shirt and tie and holy hell, my husband is gorgeous. I wore a grey pencil skirt, black heels and a black sweater. Elvis wore a black leather jumpsuit with red and gold studs.
- After the wedding, we went to Hyanumi in Caesars Palace for some sushi and champagne.
- Our first cute marital activity was indoor skydiving! Next Saturday, we’re running a 5k together, though mine will likely involve lots of walking.
- Yes, we will be having another wedding in Austin later this year. We haven’t started working on those details yet, aside from the fact that it will be a Catholic ceremony and casual reception. I told M I still want a proper proposal and engagement, so we’ll start planning once he pops the question 😉 Many, many thanks in advance to my parents, who have agreed to pay for their only daughter’s second wedding.
- I’m converting to Catholicism. I know I don’t have to in order to be married to M, but for my own reasons, I’d already decided to do so if/when we got married. Unfortunately, it seems like most RCIA classes around Dallas have already started, so I’d have to start in 2011.
- About the name change? Though I love my two middle names, I’m using my maiden name for the middle and taking M’s last name. Professionally, I’ll go by all three; personally, I’ll go by my first and his last.
- Yes, I’m still in Dallas and he’s still in Austin, for the time being.
- No, we’re not having kids any time soon!