Super quick post, but I figured I’d just do this rather than emailing it to everyone who’s asked! Tonight, I had an awesome bowl of tortilla soup, courtesy of K’s sister, M. I thought I’d try my hand at it; it’s currently simmering, so we’ll see how it turns out!
I don’t really use measurements, but it’ll be damn good.
1. Boil water in a HUGE pot. When it’s rolling, add two pounds of chicken (I used thighs). Throw in some cumin, cayenne, sea salt, chili powder – start small, the flavors will come out with time. Simmer for 45min to an hour.
2. Remove the chicken when it’s done and pulls off the bone easily. Discard skin, bones, gristle and shred/cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
3. Add 16 oz frozen corn, giant can of black beans, two cans of Ro-Tel (I like the spicy kind), chicken, diced onion to taste (I used sweet yellow), 1 c salsa, 3 cloves garlic.
Instead of salsa, I prefer to add in cilantro and jalapenos, but I forgot to get them today.
4. Replace the lid on the pot and simmer for 30 more minutes.
5. Chop a stack of corn tortillas into smaller strips and fry them up in a pan until crispy. I just use cooking spray, not oil, to get them crispy.
6. Top soup with a scoop of sour cream and tortilla strips!